Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney

I own a smal business and unfortunatly have several years unpaid

I own a smal business and unfortunatly have several years unpaid taxes. The IRS is not seeking me at this point. I want to get married but my fiancee owns her house outright and I don't want her to loose that because of my stupidity. Is there any way we can get married and still protect her assets?

Thank you...
DearCustomer- A spouse is not responsible for the premarital debts of the new spouse. You should not add your name to any of her assets and I would not file joint tax returns until you resolve your IRS problems. Any funds or assets that you commingle could be subject to a tax lien so keeping everything separate is the best way to protect her from any collection efforts.