Meigs
Meigs, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I am well equipped to handle any family law problem you might have.

as a grandparent do I have a right to know what my grandchilds

as a grandparent do I have a right to know what my grandchilds medical records say, my daughter in law says my grandaughter (4mos) has a brain stem annorism but won't allow me to view these medical records. what can i do
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Meigs replied 2 years ago.

meigs004 :

So you are looking to gain access to your granddaughter's medical records?

Customer:

yes and my other two grandchildren in the household as well

meigs004 :

And your son is in prison correct?

Customer:

yes county jail for injury to a child not the grandchild in question above

meigs004 :

Understand that I can not change the laws, and it is my duty to provide you with an honest and accurate answer regarding your question. With that being said, grandparents laws in Washington are currently in flux, and since your son is in jail, and a restraining order against him, you can not go through him to obtain the documents. But, grandparents rights are only applicable in certain situations.

meigs004 :

In this situation, since the daughter in law is refusing to provide those records, the court will not force her to do so in the state of Washington.

Customer:

i think my best question is what rights do i have grandparent related when i live in washington and she in texas. I'm concerned the things she says do not add up and i have worked in the medical field for twenty plus years

meigs004 :

I understand, so the children live in Texas?

Customer:

I thank you for your answer and i do know the law works slowley thank you for your time and I will keep vigilant, yes currently in her custody in texas

meigs004 :

If you are going to seek court action for the records you would have to do so in Texas, not Washington, as Washington does not have personal jurisdiction.

meigs004 :

In Texas a court may award a grandparent "reasonable possession of or access to" a grandchild as long as least one biological or adoptive parent still has parental rights

meigs004 :

A grandparent may not request access to a grandchild if both biological parents are dead or have had parental rights terminated.

See Texas Statutes 153.432-434.

meigs004 :

Therefore, if you are seeking the medical records you could petition the court in Texas for her to disclose those records to you, but I can not guarantee that you will be successful in that venture.

meigs004 :

If this answers your question please click the smiley face :) and submit.

Customer:

would i need to do this in person or can i go through an attorney?

meigs004 :

You can go through an attorney, and most of the time they will file for you.

Customer:

thank you so much for your time do you need anything else from me or a bigger payment as i apppreciate all you've told me

meigs004 :

Alright please click the smiley face :) and submit!

Meigs, Family Law Attorney
Experience: I am well equipped to handle any family law problem you might have.