Meigs
Meigs, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I am well equipped to handle any family law problem you might have.
22589080

my ex husband filed a civil action in monmouth county NJ family

Customer Question

my ex husband filed a civil action in monmouth county NJ family court to enforcement of litigants rights for a credit card bill he wanted me to pay during our divorce, i am currently not living in the state of NJ and 37 weeks pregnant the motions scheduled for 4 days after my due day, i will need to postpone, i will also be on NYS disability from birth of my child through 6-8 weeks after, then unemployed and unable to hire legal representation thereafter so i will have to do this on my own.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Meigs replied 4 years ago.

meigs004 :

Hello, how are you today?

meigs004 :

This is not a hard thing to do, and I would love to discuss your situation with you so that I can give you the information you need to move the court date. I would like to discuss it with you live so that you can ask any follow up questions that you might have, and I can provide you with an efficient answer to your questions. I look forward to speaking with you!

JACUSTOMER-w5tn72o4- :

Thank you for getting back to me however i just need to know how to file the continuance, its the last 2-3 weeks of pregnancy and this is elevating my (i was chroncially low the whole pregnancy and yesterday when i received papers i jumped 30/30 points to borderline high bloodpressure, i will ideally need 3 months for the continuance as i will be the sole provider for my newborn and covered under STD for 6 weeks after birth plus a month at least to figure out what i will need to do to proceed.

meigs004 :

Ok, give me a minute to type your answer.

JACUSTOMER-w5tn72o4- :

surely thank you

meigs004 :

Ok, what you will need to do is file a motion to continue, the motion to continue is a motion to the court to move your case for good cause. In your case you have good reasons. The motion can be drafted by you, and will simply state the reasons in the motion why you need the case continued. You will put in there that you are 37 weeks pregnant, and that you are expecting a further 6-8 weeks after the birth of your child that you will not be able to appear. After you submit this motion to the court the judge will rule on your motion, and to be honest with you, it will most likely be granted. It is also possible to contact the clerk's office, as most have a standard form that the court clerk uses for pro se individuals to motion the court for a continuance.

meigs004 :

You can either call the clerk's office and inquire about the form, and most of the time you can find it online, and the court clerk will direct you to their website.

meigs004 :

It is also possible, that if you are not able to find the document or draft one for yourself, depending on your jurisdiction, you may be able to simply call the judges office and ask the judges assistant to move your case to a later date.

meigs004 :

Why have you rated poor service, if you wanted further information, or clarification, you could simply ask your follow up questions.