Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

Ok i married a woman 6 mo. ago. We are getting a divorce. I

Ok i married a woman 6 mo. ago. We are getting a divorce. I would like to know what my rights are at this point??? She is living in my house that I had purchased before we got involved. Do i have to worry bout losing my house? We live in Oregon
Under Oregon law, all of the property you owned prior to marriage is your separate property to which she has no legal claim to property rights. Also, with a 6 month marriage, she is not going to be entitled to very much of a marital property settlement and she would not be entitled to spousal support. At this point you can ask the court for an order of temporary possession of the marital home based on it being your separate property.

PLEASE USE THE REPLY BUTTON IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON EVEN IF THE FEEDBACK SAYS NEED MORE OR HELPED A LITTLE, THIS IS NOT HOW TO GET MORE INFORMATION.

PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “GREAT” SERVICE

I hope you found my answer helpful, but please understand that if you did not get all of the information you may have wanted to use the REPLY button and we are happy to continue working with you to get you all of the information you require.

Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I was able to explain your concern to your satisfaction.

Please click the top THREE POSITIVE FACES so that we can get good feedback for working with you.

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes that helps. I am trying to be nice and let her stay there. She does not want me there at all. Is there a time frame that i can give her to get out? Does that fall under what you were saying about the order of temporary possession?
You would need to file a motion for possession of the marital home and it would be up to the court to give her time to move out. Even though the home is your separate property, because it is the marital home you need to do this as part of the divorce process.