How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33654
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in maine and i was divorced from my ex wife in 2006.

This answer was rated:

I live in maine and i was divorced from my ex wife in 2006. shortly after this she moved in with the attorney who was representing her. He also left his wife at the time. I have been fighting them over the custody of my now 13 yr old daughter. As you can imagine, i have spent thousands and she has had free legal advice. I am slowly losing my daughter and it is killing me. can i report this divorce lawyer for ethics violations? If you only knew what i have been through over the past 6 yrs.
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

You can report this.

6 years is a bit long to wait...there is no "statue of limitations" for ethics violations. But the longer you wait the more difficult in many cases to substantiate a complaint.

It would be a violation for an attorney to have a personal, intimate relationship with a client as you describe during the representation.

But timing is the key. Since if the personal, intimate relationship did not begin until after the representation was over, then it would not be an ethics violation. That is why waiting the 6 years may make it difficult for the ethics committee to fully investigate the complaint.

But you can certainly file it.

If you contact the state bar they can help you with the forms needed to file the complaint.

P. Simmons and 7 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you