Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.

Is it legal or no legal to lock young children in their bedrooms

Is it legal or no legal to lock young children in their bedrooms while they are in time out.? These kids are are 2.5 and 4.5 years old. The 4.5 year old tells me his mom locks them in their rooms at night while they sleep and during time outs. Thanks
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

It is my goal to deliver information in five-star manner.

I am a licensed attorney but I am not your attorney. The law does not allow me to provide legal advice or form an attorney-client relationship on this public forum.

If at any time the information which I provide is not clear to you or does not fully answer your question, please ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

It is not per se illegal to lock young children in their bedrooms.

The mother may have safety concerns regarding the children roaming the house at night if they wake up and/or she is a sound sleeper. In such a situation it may be negligent for the mother to NOT lock their bedroom doors

Locking children in their rooms during time out is often used as a method of enforcing parental discipline without physical restraint.

Of course if the children were locked in their rooms for days at a time or not fed or otherwise neglected, it would be abusive and illegal

I think this is what you wanted to know. Please let me know if I have answered your question