Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I have lived with my partner for the past 16 years. on many

I have lived with my partner for the past 16 years. on many occaision we have held ourselves out to be married. We have also stated ourselves to be married on documents such as life insurance policies, hospital records, county jail records etc. However he is still legally married to his first wife. She has also been in a common law relationship with another man. They have an eighteen year old daughter. Does my relationship with my partner have any legal status. If we were to part is there any legal ritual we would have to perform?
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Kindly use CONTINUE or REPLY button to ask for clarification or follow-up questions.

Question:
I have lived with my partner for the past 16 years. on many occaision we have held ourselves out to be married. We have also stated ourselves to be married on documents such as life insurance policies, hospital records, county jail records etc. However he is still legally married to his first wife. She has also been in a common law relationship with another man. They have an eighteen year old daughter. Does my relationship with my partner have any legal status.

Response: Unfortunately, no it does not. In order to be in a common law marriage, both of you must be free to marry. Your partner is not free to marry when he is still legally married to his first wife. So, there is no marriage between you two. See Colorado Revised Statutes Sections 14-2-109 to 14-2-110

If we were to part is there any legal ritual we would have to perform
?

Response 2:
Not applicable because there is no common law marriage to begin with.