dkennedy
dkennedy, Attorney at Law
Experience:  JD Degree, Social Service Experience, Child Support Officer

I live with and care for my mother who lives an hour from my

I live with and care for my mother who lives an hour from my girlfriend. I receive mail at my mothers home. I stay with both 50% of the time. at times I do stay at my girlfriends home longer if I am working in her area. I keep hygiene products and undergarments at her place. I have no financial arrangements or agreements with my girlfriend. I understand this area can be vague. I'm concerned if the amount of our time together is putting her alimony at risk...which I don't want to cross the line and cause to happen. Should we be concerned?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  dkennedy replied 2 years ago.

dkennedy :

dkennedy :

I'm happy to help you with this. For the most part, your residence is going to be: where you get your mail, where your car is registered, where your drivers license says you live and official type things similar to those. I do not know what her alimony order says but if it says "no cohabitation" you technical and literally do not live there, but you do spend a lot of time there. If the order says "no male is to stay overnight" or something like that, it may be a problem. Those kinds of orders are few, because it is unrealistic.

dkennedy :

It says you are standing by. Are you online right now? I would be happy to chat with you about this.

Customer:

Thank you. I read a lot about private investigators being hired to photograph and track activity and then testifying. I'm not denying I stay with her anywhere from forty to seventy percent. But my personal belongings come and go with me. I don't foresee a need to mingle our finances in the near future, she is 100% financially independent and owns her home. I guess my concern is the percent of time spent there that could be classified as cohabitating, and thinking about being watched and followed by a PI.

dkennedy :

I think that is a pretty "far out" possibility. It would cost a fortune to have some private investigator follow you and mark the hours. Your residence is your mother's and there's nothing they can do about it. They can't look in the house to see if your things are there, and so what if a few things are there. Unless you move in, share costs, get your mail at your friend's there is nothing they can do about it.

Customer:

I think I can ease my concern so long as I keep a separate residence and not sharing costs, as you mentioned. Thank you very much for your help.

dkennedy :

You are welcome.

dkennedy, Attorney at Law
Experience: JD Degree, Social Service Experience, Child Support Officer
Expert:  dkennedy replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.