Joseph
Joseph, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have over a decade of experience as a Family Law litigator

i have been divorced for nearly 6 years and have been raising

Customer Question

i have been divorced for nearly 6 years and have been raising our three children by myself. he is currently behind 3600 in child support and behind on his repayment plan he set and this has been a continous thing since day one. I left after ten years of marriage due to physical and verbal and mental abuse and his control issues. last month, he filed for a modification stating that I neglect my children, which is no where close to the truth. however, i arrived in court pro-se and ended up losing temporary custody..this man is a monster, what can I do?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 2 years ago.

As you have suggested, I would urge you to look into retaining a family law attorney. A competent attorney would be familiar with the local laws and rules, would know the assigned judge and the opposing attorney and would otherwise help ensure the best possible outcome for you and your children.

.

First, you should begin with your state bar association. The Texas State Bar has a website, it is located at www.texasbar.com.
.

I do not know your county of residence but your county bar association likely has a similar site that will be more specific to your location.

.

Additionally, Martindale Hubbell is a national organization that rates attorneys across the country. Their website is located at www.martindale.com.

.

Another nationwide website is located at www.avvo.com. This site lists attorneys by geographic location and area of practice.

.

Additionally, there is quite likely a legal aid society in your area. A quick internet search and/or phone book search should locate the society closest to you.

.

Each of these resources will have a wealth of information as to attorneys in your
area that handle such cases and that would provide services for free or at a reduced cost. I would suggest you check each site out and you will surely find a great number of attorneys that meet your needs. Pick a few to meet with in person so that you can thoroughly explain your situation and then retain the one that you feel can best represent your interests.

.

You should also keep in mind that it is possible to get your husband to contribute to your attorneys fees. If the father has a greater income, you might consider filing a motion for fees. If you can demonstrate that you have a need for financial assistance and that the father has the ability to provide that assistance, the judge may very well order him to make a contribution to your attorneys fees.

.

These can be complicated cases, please let me know if anything requires clarification.

.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click ACCEPT. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!

.

Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He merely repeated what Id already said Id done and told me good luck..

Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.

I would respectfully XXXXXXXX XXXX your assessment that I "merely repeated" your statements and wished you luck. If you go back to your original post, you asked the extremely broad question of "what can I do". In response, I gave you several valuable resources to assist in your endeavors to find a suitable attorney. Additionally, on two occasions, I stated that I welcomed the opportunity for follow-up. Now that 49 days have passed since my post, please feel free to let me know if there is anything else you need.

.

.