AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney

My ex wife got re married changed her last name .. do I have

My ex wife got re married changed her last name .. do I have the right to go back to court and ask to stop paying her living expenses?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 4 years ago.
Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer. I am Thoreau and I am sending this answer to you only a few minutes after you asked your question.
Yes. Virginia Code Section 20-109 states that, "unless otherwise provided by stipulation or contract, spousal support and maintenance shall terminate upon the death of either party or remarriage of the spouse receiving support." Remarriage is a basis to petition to terminate spousal support and a judge will terminate spousal support upon remarriage unless the spouses have stipulated that it should continue or there's a contract requiring the continuation of spousal support.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok the divorce and everything happen in the state of Texas I am currently just living in Virginia.. does that change anything??
Yes. If the order is in Texas, that makes it a completely different question and that will require separate research. Please be patient with me and I will research the question again and respond again as quickly as possible.
Thank you.