How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttorneyTom Your Own Question
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9176
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
AttorneyTom is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in TX and found out recently I am ten weeks pregnant.

Resolved Question:

I live in TX and found out recently I am ten weeks pregnant. I am not married to the father of the baby nor are we in a relationship. When I told him he sent me a check in the mail to abort the baby. I did not abort, he then told me I would need to suffer the consequences of my actions, being I would raise the child alone without any financial or support from him. He also suggested I sign away my rights and put the baby up for adoption. He hired an attorney and she has requested I sign a medical release allowing her and him access to my medical files. He said he wants a DNA test when the baby is born, I am 100% on with that. However, he told me he will not pay any child support. He is a wealthy dentist and can afford to get out of his financial obligations, he could stall in court and keep taking me to court because he knows I can't afford the legal fees. It seems he is trying to bully me legally because I decided to keep the baby. How can a father get out of his legal financial responsibilities?? Can he stall the court to avoid payment? He said my consequences for keeping the baby is doing it alone as he wants no part of the child. Is there an attorney out there familiar with this sort of situation or am I at the losing end because he has the money to get out of anything he wants?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 4 years ago.
Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer. I am Thoreau and I am sending this answer to you only a few minutes after you asked your question.
I am very sorry that you're having to go through that. Pregnancies are very stressful, and they're even more stressful when you have to go through them alone. You don't deserve to have to deal with that. "How can a father get out of his legal financial responsibilities?" He can't. Fathers don't get to decide they won't support their children and men can't force mothers to have an abortion. If he refuses to acknowledge paternity at the birth of the child, you can file a paternity action. The court will then order a DNA test and once it is convinced that he is the biological father, it will legally establish him as such. The court can then establish child support, visitation, etc. He could drag things out a little bit by fighting the matter, disputing the amount of support, etc., but the court's order will be retroactive to the date of petition and he can be ordered to pay a portion of maternity expenses as well. The state is on a mother's side in such matters and you can obtain very affordable assistance from the Attorney General's Office. The Attorney General's Office will help you establish paternity and support, and the Office will help you enforce that order once it's established.
I'm very sorry that you're having to go through that and I wish you and your child all the best.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I would like the DNA test performed as soon as the child is born, he has already hired an attorney and I am only 10 weeks! Once it is determined he is the father are there any loop holes he can find to get out of it? I work full time and will need help paying for childcare at the very least. How long can he legally drag the court system?
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your message. I am sending you this answer only 12 minutes after your reply. I apologize for the very brief delay, as I was taking a quick restroom break when you sent your reply. The amount of time the matter will take will depend on a variety of things, including how busy the court is. The Child Support Division can better help you estimate how long it may take before child support payments will start. It's very difficult for a parent to get out of child support and it's usually just a matter of delaying the inevitable. Judges don't terminate parental rights and obligations simply to save a parent the expense of raising a child. Instead, that only occurs when doing so is in the best interests of a child, which generally limits the termination of parental rights and responsibilities to situations where the judge is doing so to facilitate an adoption.
Once again, I'm sorry that you're having to go through the child birth process alone and I wish the best for you and your child.
AttorneyTom and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions