AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney
18048122

My ex girlfriend and I had a child together. I am currently

My ex girlfriend and I had a child together. I am currently not financially or currently stable enough to support a child. Since then my ex has a boyfriend who is willing to adopt. All three of us agreed for me to terminate my parental rights and he wants to adopt. I need a form or affidavit to fill out or write so I can take my ex and him to a notary to get this official. Am i going about this the right way? Do we NEED to go to court first if this is all voluntary? How exactly do I go about writing this affidavit or finding a form to use?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the opportunity to answer your question. I am sending this answer to you only a few minutes after you submitted your question.
Yes. That's the right way to do an adoption by consent and yes, a court appearance will be necessary. The judge will want to make sure everyone understands what's taking place and that it's good for the child. I'm sure you know this, but I should mention that if you proceed with the adoption, you would no longer have any rights or responsibilities as a parent. Therefore, if you still want a relationship with the child, adoption may or may not be what you want to do because the parents won't be obligated to permit you access to the child.
The forms for adoption, along with instructions, are located here: http://www.flcourts.org/gen_public/family/forms_rules/index.shtml#981
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
And which of those forms do I need exactly?
Thank you for your message. I'm sending you this message only a couple of minutes after you sent your message. Form 12.981(a)(1): Stepparent Adoption: Consent and Waiver by Parent is the form that is completed and signed by the parent who is relinquishing rights to the child who is to be adopted. That's the first form on the list.