AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney

A married couple in Florida married for 15 years with a 14

A married couple in Florida married for 15 years with a 14 year old son and the divorce is contested. she wants the divorce, he does not. The wife makes more than husband, will she have to play alimony? The husband is not responsible and does not pay the bills now or pays very little.
Thank you for the opportunity to answer your question. I am sending this answer to you only a few minutes after you submitted your question.
I'm sorry to hear about the situation. The judge gets to decide whether or not to award alimony. If she decides to award it, she will decide how much to award. In making the determination, the judge considers the length of the marriage, age and health of the parties, financial situation of the parties, standard of living during the marriage, and the contributions of the parties to the marriage. The needs of the recipient and the ability of the other to pay will be considered as well. This is governed by Florida Statutes 61.08. Therefore, if a spouse is voluntarily underemployed, irresponsible and wasteful, etc., that weighs against the spouse for the purposes of alimony, but all factors are considered.