AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney

My daughter has been letting father of her baby keep him for

My daughter has been letting father of her baby keep him for several days at a time. There is no formal arrangement. He is threatening to keep baby. Is there anything she can do?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the opportunity to answer your question. I am sending this answer to you only a few minutes after you submitted your question.
I'm sorry to hear about the situation. As long as paternity has been established, both parents have equal rights until court orders otherwise. Therefore, if one legal parent is refusing to return a child to the other legal parent, the parent can petition to establish custody and visitation orders to ensure her access to the child. Such a petition can be filed at the Clerk of Court's Office, though it's wisest to retain an attorney to assist with the matter.