AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney

I am filing first for a divorce and we have a 13 yr together.

I am filing first for a divorce and we have a 13 yr together. She has mentioned that she wants to stay in the house she grew up in but I moved out a year ago. My question is I am asking for shared custody does that mean she will live with her father and spend most of her time there; if he gets residential that is.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the opportunity to answer your question. I am sending this answer to you only a few minutes after you submitted your question.
With shared residential custody, neither parent is really the primary. Instead, parents have very liberal, loose rights and they're expected to work together to facilitate a child's well-being. This is generally only granted when parents get along well and when they can work together. If parents cannot work together, one parent would ask for greater custodial rights. A parent who wants superior residential rights would generally ask for primary residential custody and not shared residential custody.