How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttorneyTom Your Own Question
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9176
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
AttorneyTom is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi T-USA... I had just asked you a question about the insurance

Resolved Question:

Hi T-USA... I had just asked you a question about the insurance claim. Anyway I have an account whereby I'm allowed to ask more than 1 question, so I'm going to ask you something else.

I had a situation whereby I was receiving food stamps, and then my income increased a bit, however simultaneously the father of my children wasn't contributing half towards the expenses for my kids. So I decided that I wanted to get food stamps for just the kids (not me)... please replay and then I'll continue
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 4 years ago.
Hello again. Thank you for your question and thank oyu very much for requesting me.

I'll be more than happy to discuss your new question with you. Please continue and let me know what you want to know. However, if you were satisfied with my last answer, I would ask that you please go back and rate it first. Even though your account allows multiple questions, I don't get credit for answering them unless you rate each question I answer. Once we're done with that question, it would be my pleasure to answer any additional questions you may have.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK I rated the questions from the previous answer and I put "like it" on each - don't know if I'll ever love any of this! But you're very helpful.

So in regards XXXXX XXXXX thing with the food stamps, is it true that the DA or child support services division can work with the food stamps agency to get the absentee parent to pay their fair share of child support?

Also, if I made a mistake on reporting my income to the food stamps agency, is this a big deal or can I just simply contact them to let them know the corrected income and go from there?
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 4 years ago.
Thank you very much. I appreciate you rating my prior answer. For some reason, the system doesn't reflect that you have, but I'll ask a moderator to have a look at that. With regard to ratings, please understand: the rating is for me - not the content, though I certainly understand that the content is unappealing at times (with law, it often is). In other words, when you rate the answer, your rating reflects how you feel about the way I answered it, even if the answer isn't what you wanted. Providing bad news is the hardest part of doing my job but it's a big part of doing the job well.

It absolutely is true that the state can pursue child support on behalf of a parent who is receiving public services. This is because the state is essentially trying to recoup the amount that it has spent due to the other parent's failure ot suppor this child.

A genuine mistake, such as a typographical error, shouldn't generally be a problem and should be readily corrected. However, a falsification would be a big deal and could result in criminal charges. There's a fine line between the two, but if something genuinely appears to be a good faith error, it should be corrected without criminal charges. That said, if it's substantial, it could give the appearance that you were attempting to defraud the state.
AttorneyTom and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK I marked "love it" on this answer since this answer provided me good information. Thank you very much!

Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 4 years ago.
Thank you very much for doing so! I truly appreciate it. Have a great evening!

Related Family Law Questions