Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
3396227

My 19 year old son is concerned that a friend is being physically

My 19 year old son is concerned that a friend is being physically abused by her mother. She is 15, and lives in another state. What advice can he give her to get her out of the abusive household? It is just her mother and her. I think his hands are tied but said I'd get a professional opinion.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 4 years ago.
Dear JACUSTOMER - He can tell her to call the police and ask for help or to talk to her teachers or minister etc. Your son can take the initiative and contact child protective services in the county where the child resides. CPS can then launch an investigation into the allegations. Obviously there's nothing your son can do directly but if there is a child being abused someone needs to step in and assist. There's nothing wrong with calling in an anonymous tip to CPS or even the police.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks, that's good advice. How do I stop him from this - he thinks he will drive to her home and stay with her and help her thru this. I told him that's not legal in any state because of the age difference. I don't think he should be anywhere near her. He says her mental state is also at risk... he picked a mess to get into.

He should stay away from her and her house and let the authorities handle this. I don't know how he knows this girl but messing around with underage girls is very risky business and he will end up losing. He's an adult and can do what he pleases but going to her house is the last thing he should be doing.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Are there any options besides foster care?

Well I don't know the girl's family situation and whether there are other family members etc. There's always the possibility of counseling and solving the situation with the mother so there are options but the point is that the abuse, if it is real, needs to be stopped. Whatever the options may be they are better than living in an abusive household.