Hello and thanks for choosing Just Answer®:
I am a licensed attorney and will do my best to provide you an honest and accurate answer to your important legal question.
My goal is to make your experience here highly satisfactory. Toward that end, please keep a few details in mind during our interaction:
1. I am a lousy mind reader. If you do not supply information to me, I do not know it. Please, give me the needed details to work with so I can provide you with the best possible service. Also, if you use the RELIST or BLOCK features, our discussion ends and I may no longer be able to assist. Please, just write back to me, directly, and talk to me.
2. Also, while I make every effort to work in a timely fashion, answering legal questions is not an instantaneous process. I am required to conduct research, interact with multiple customers simultaneously and sometimes take a break. Also, there may be times when I have to sign off for the night or to attend to other obligations. Rest assured, however, I will get back to you.
3. If you have a new legal question, the terms of this site ask that you post it in a separate thread. In other words, please be fair and reasonable. You can direct any future questions to my attention. Just go to my Profile Page, type in the text box "ask Your Question", click the hyperlink that says "15 minutes", and use the drop down menu to select 12 hours.
4. Please remember that many times even attorneys disagree with the law. But, we cannot change it. The answer I give you is based on my years of legal education and professional practice. It may well not be what you were hoping to hear. I will be upfront and direct. I will not mislead you, misstate the law to suit your hopes, or agree just to meet your expectations.
5. If you answer an Information Request and I start working on formulating your answer, it does take some time to draft a quality response. In the meantime, you may receive a message indicating that I am "offline" or "unavailable". This is not the case. These messages are generated automatically without my knowledge or input.
6. Lastly, please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated. Information provided is informational and not legal advice. I am not your attorney. No attorney-client relationship exists between us. Consult legal counsel in your jurisdiction.
QUESTIONS: "Since we haven't signed anything, should I do this? Would I weaken my legal standing in finishing the remaining items if I pay?"
ANSWER: It is your call, of course, but I certainly would not do so. Here is why. In the first place, it is only fair that you each be expected to uphold your respective ends of the agreement only once each party signs thereto. Otherwise, it would be expecting you to simply "trust", without the support of the written and signed document, which is not proper. Also, while it is certainly understandable and perhaps even commendable that her attorney would suggest this, you should look at this from the vantage point of best protecting your interests. I realize all looks well and undisputed, but suppose that somehow, after making out the check and your spouse cashing it, negotiations break down. What then? It could at least potentially be a pain to try and get back money already sent. As to the second part of your question, it will do nothing good for your negotiation stance to pay as requested. In fact, as you mentioned, it could at theoretically do some harm. So, were I in your shoes, I would just wait and start honoring your obligations once they take force but not a minute before, which in the end analysis is fair to both of you.
I truly hope all works out for you. After you rate my answer (look for smiley faces and/or stars plus possibly a green "Submit" button), our conversation need not end. I would be happy to continue our dialog, without further charge, until you are fully satisfied. I promise to check back periodically for any updated posts from you each time I return to this online venue.
Join thousands of satisfied customers by adding me to your bookmarks/favorites: LawInfoNow. Just type your future question in the text box to direct it to my personal attention.