JerrySJD
JerrySJD, Attorney
Experience:  Divorce, child custody, support, mediation, alimony
62699694

Hello, My divorce was finalized in Jan. However, there

My divorce was finalized in Jan. However, there are a number of issues that the ex is in contempt of that were specifically spelled out in our settlement agreement. My current/now former attorney scheduled several meeting with opposing council and noting ever transpired other than a large bill for me. That being said, I decided to take over the case myself (atty has withdrawn/I filed an appearance).

During our 22 yrs of marriage there was a life insurance policy on my ex that has cash value that the SA spells out I will receive 60% of CV during years married. The ex refuses to ask for distribution of my share. That being said, I understand if I send a certified copy of settlement agreement to insur co they can probably make the distribution. My question is: now that I am representing myself, do I need to send opposing council a copy of the letter requesting distribution and attachments (S/A) that I send to the insurance co.?

Thank you,
Joy

JerrySJD :

As far as I can see, you are no longer in litigation. The case is over. That means there is no opposing counsel. You have an order, which should be followed. You can send it in without copying anyone. Remains to be seen what the insurance company will do, but it could work. They may need consent of the ex, which they have to give udner the order. If they do not, you can file a motion for contempt using a form and no lawyer. A deal is a deal and an order is an order. Time to collect. Good luck.

JerrySJD :

Thank you for using Just Answer! Please click "Accept". If you need more, just let me know.