stevexo, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  30 years helping those with Family legal needs

I own a house in the Uk with my ex partner, we have a joint

I own a house in the Uk with my ex partner, we have a joint mortgage that we both contribute to. The tenancy on the deeds in the uk, is a joint one not a comman law one.
He has now married, does his new wife have any rights to our property if they divorce? Would her settlement include part of the house that i own with her husband?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  stevexo replied 4 years ago.
Glad to help. No you do not need to worry about these things, you are in good shape with the joint tenancy. Unlike tenants in common you both own it together with the right of survivorship. You do not each have a one half interest like tenants in common, that could be conveyed away by each individual owner. Because you own it jointly, he cannot convey any portion of the property to her as he does not have a half to convey. Part of her settlement could not include a portion of that home so do not worry about her getting it or owning it with you. Sincerely, Steve
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you

Just the answer I was looking for.

Expert:  stevexo replied 4 years ago.
Glad that you will be able to accept it. Steve