LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.

ok if the social security disiblity ssdi and the va benifits

Customer Question

ok if the social security disiblity ssdi and the va benifits add up to about 4, 000 what would the child support payment be
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 years ago.
How much do you earn a month?

Are you the primary custodial parent?

How may children are involved?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

my husband has his ssdi and va benifits he dont work its about 4,000 dollars

Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 years ago.
How much does the other parent earn a month, roughly?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The ex gf of his gets disiblity each month does not work.Im his wife is it true they can try use my income for support too i make about 1,000 a month it pays my bills i had before we were married
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 years ago.
Good afternoon,

Your income generally does not come into play unless circumstances are very dire.

I am going to estimate that she gets $1000 a month in disability as you can;t answer the question and I must have a figure.

Based on him getting $4000 a month, and the ex getting $1000 a month, the child support for 1 child will be about $600.00 per month, which is the equivalent of about 15% of his income. This is normal.

I hope that you found my answer informative, that you are accepting of my efforts and that you will rate my efforts based on the knowledge I have provided to you.

I wish you the best in 2012.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

how do they come up with the figure for child support and does it make a difference if 200 on my husbands va benifit 100% disabled he is amount is cause im a dependant on there

Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 years ago.
Good morning,

The calculations made by the court are complicated. here is a calculator which will provide a good estimate:

Only the income of the PARENT is used for the calculation. If part of your husband's gross income is $200 from the VA---that is still income which must be included for support purposes. Your being a dependent is not part of the support equation.