LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

question can social securtity disiablity be used for child

question can social securtity disiablity be used for child support and va benifit amount i get each month?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 years ago.
Good afternoon,

Thank you for asking for me.

Are you asking whether social security and VA benefits constitute income, and whether they are allowed to be considered when the court sets the level of child support? Yes, they are considered part of gross income and the monetary benefits you receive are considered in determining the level of child support.

Under Vermont law, gross income includes income from any source, including but not limited to, income from salaries, wages, commissions, royalties, bonuses, dividends, severance pay pensions, interest, trust income, annuities, capital gains, social security benefits, workers' compensation benefits, unemployment insurance benefits,
disability insurance benefits, gifts, prizes, and spousal support actually received.

I hope that you found my answer informative, that you are accepting of my efforts and that you will rate my efforts based on the knowledge I have provided to you.

I wish you the best in 2012.

Thank you.

Doug