LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.

My son is moving to Arizona. He has a daughter in Connecticut

My son is moving to Arizona. He has a daughter in Connecticut who he has been paying support payments on since 2005. He is not listed on the birth certificate, however paternity was determinted by a DNA test. We would like to know how to get visitation legally established as his daughters mother uses this a leverage every chance she gets that he cannot see his daughter.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 years ago.
Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear of the situation.

He can get visitation established any time he wants. All he will need to do is file a Petition for Custody/Visitation with the court in the county where his daughter resides and the court will grant him visitation. The fact that he is not listed on the birth certificate is a non-issue.

While the visitation will be infrequent, based on living on the opposite side of the country from his daughter, he will get longer periods of visitation consisting of a week or more on several holidays throughout the year and a large chunk of time in the summer---typically 4 to 6 week in a row which he may have her come out to AZ to visit him. Additionally, if he is willing to travel to CT, the court will allow him regular visitations while he is in the area.

I hope that you found my answer informative, that you are accepting of my efforts and that you will rate my efforts based on the knowledge I have provided to you.

I wish you the best in 2012.

Thank you.