JerrySJD
JerrySJD, Attorney
Experience:  Divorce, child custody, support, mediation, alimony
62699694

My ex husband is behind in child support 17K plus and in disability.

My ex husband is behind in child support 17K plus and in disability. Court house in claiming it can't be pursued. Now he is getting a lump sump payment for disability and car accident. I was not receiving any funds for my son for ex's disability because he had been claiming our son and living with him, Our son only lived with him for a short while. The social security office ( which I went to several times to tell them the situation) and they still sent the funds to my ex.
2 months ago I gave guardian ship to my mother so my son could go to the school he had first attended. She is now getting the monthly checks for Kory.
My question is; what do I do to get the back child support owed from his lump sum payment for disability?

JerrySJD :

Did you call the child support office? If he owes a back amount, then you should be able to enforce, through a contempt order or other means, like garnishment or collecting on a bank account.

JerrySJD :

The official child support enforcement agency in Indiana is the Child Support Bureau of the Department of Child Services.

JerrySJD :

Have you seen the state website on child support enforcement?

JerrySJD :

Here it is: http://www.in.gov/dcs/support.htm

JerrySJD :

The wrinkle here is that you gave your mother guardianship, which means that she should get child support. this is a complicating factor.

JerrySJD :

Still, guardian should get the SS check.