JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992

minor recieving survior s.s. benefits from mother. If emancipated

minor recieving survior s.s. benefits from mother. If emancipated from abusive father are
benefits effected?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 4 years ago.
The Social Security Office doesn't answer this question when asked directly, I've asked before, so you have to look at the rules. The rules say that "unmarried children under the age of 18" are eligible to receive the benefits. Based on this then the child should be able to continue receiving the benefits until the age of 18 as long as they don't marry.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like but I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked.

I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.