LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.

I want to know specifically what Pa Law says about how many

I want to know specifically what Pa Law says about how many years you have to married to receive part of a spouses pension.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 years ago.
Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear of the confusion.

There is no specific code section which speaks to your question. Volumes of case law have held that the percentage of any given pension acquired between marriage and separation, is considered to be marital property. Marital property---whether it be accumulated over a single year of marriage, or a 30 year union, is all subject to division between the divorcing spouses.

Here is a link to an informative site which explains this:

I hope that you found my answer informative, that you are accepting of my efforts and that you will rate my efforts based on the knowledge I have provided to you.

I wish you the best in 2012.

Thank you.