How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 32561
Experience:  30 plus years of experience.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I own a home with a buddy who is on the warranty deed. The mortgage is in my name and is

Resolved Question:

I own a home with a buddy who is on the warranty deed. The mortgage is in my name and is current. Owned past 10 years as rental. My girlfriend and I have rented for the last year and half. Splitting the bills. Tenants in the rental recently moved out. Her and I started to remodel the rental to move in. She has invested money in appliances and we placed materials on her daughters home depot card. I paid the plumbers, tile setters and air conditioning guys. I continue to pay the mortgage and water bills. She pays electric and cable. We are now splitting. What rights does she have to stay in the house. I have intentions of paying off the home depot card. Hoping she can return the appliances. We have been in the remodel for approx. 2 months. Again what rights does she have to stay here if any. There was no agreement made before hand.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Loren replied 5 years ago.
She has no right to stay, but you will have to evict her through the courts if you have allowed her to establish residency.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How is residency determined.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What determines residency? The electric bill in her name? Mail?
Expert:  Loren replied 5 years ago.
It is a function of intent. Her mail comes there. It is the address on her license, etc.
Loren and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you