Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 plus years of experience.

I own a home with a buddy who is on the warranty deed. The mortgage is in my name and is

I own a home with a buddy who is on the warranty deed. The mortgage is in my name and is current. Owned past 10 years as rental. My girlfriend and I have rented for the last year and half. Splitting the bills. Tenants in the rental recently moved out. Her and I started to remodel the rental to move in. She has invested money in appliances and we placed materials on her daughters home depot card. I paid the plumbers, tile setters and air conditioning guys. I continue to pay the mortgage and water bills. She pays electric and cable. We are now splitting. What rights does she have to stay in the house. I have intentions of paying off the home depot card. Hoping she can return the appliances. We have been in the remodel for approx. 2 months. Again what rights does she have to stay here if any. There was no agreement made before hand.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Loren replied 4 years ago.
She has no right to stay, but you will have to evict her through the courts if you have allowed her to establish residency.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How is residency determined.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What determines residency? The electric bill in her name? Mail?
Expert:  Loren replied 4 years ago.
It is a function of intent. Her mail comes there. It is the address on her license, etc.