TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA

What is the first thing I should do? Go to the police and

What is the first thing I should do? Go to the police and file a police report? Can I use my divorce lawyer or I have to hire another lawyer?
Hi again.

The first thing to do would be to go to the police and file a report. If criminal charges are pressed and your wife is convicted, then you can use that conviction against her in a civil case. In other words, the prosecutor already did all of the work for you. Also, the criminal statute of limitations runs out first, so it's better to deal with the criminal issue first. When you sue, you can certainly use your divorce lawyer if he/she is willing to take the case. If not, then you'll need to hire a new lawyer. It's really just a matter of whether the divorce lawyer feels comfortable with that type of case.