Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  13 years experience, divorce & custody issues, protective orders, child abuse issues

Can I have my divorce decree modified to change my daughters

Can I have my divorce decree modified to change my daughter's last name back to mine? I was not contesting the divorce and signed a waiver of service, not knowing it was going to affect her name.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 4 years ago.

Hello there

If you just recently signed a waiver of service it simply means that the other side does not have to formally serve you and prove to the court that you were formally served. You can certainly contact the court and find out exactly what is happening at this point in the divorce case and you can file a Motion to Contest Name Change of Minor Child. The best way to do this if you can afford it is to hire a local family law attorney and ask them to help you with this. Contact your local county bar association and ask for a referral to a local family attorney and you should get several names of lawyers to speak with in your area.