TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA

On December of 2010, my wife hit me in my arm with a broom

On December of 2010, my wife hit me in my arm with a broom leaving several bruises.
My supervisor at work saw them, and told me to press charges on my wife. I did not press any charges because she was not a US citizen, and she would have ended in jail and maybe deported to her country, and we have a five years old. The bruises went a away, but days later I started having pain in my arm. I still have the pain today, and I cannot even carry my laptop with that arm. I filed for divorce this last January, and I do not know if I can sue her or press any charge againts her now that she is a US citizen. It is not fair that she could walk away like that. Can I do something?
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

There is likely still time to file criminal charges. Criminal battery is generally a first degree misdemeanor (see Section 784.03(2)(b)), and the statute of limitations for a first degree misdemeanor is two years (see Section 775.15(2)(c)). Accordingly, you can file a police report and ask that your wife be prosecuted.

You can also sue your wife for civil battery, which has a four year statute of limitations (see Section 95.11(3)(o)).