Robert
Robert, Attorney
Experience:  I am a licensed Attorney.
62978293

I was given full custody of my son in Oct 2000 by Judge Theresa

Customer Question

I was given full custody of my son in Oct 2000 by Judge Theresa Mullany-Estrada in the court San Luis Obispo, Ca. I had a case with child support services in that county until I moved to Nevada in 2003. He did not pay the support ordered, is delinquent in excess of 23,000. How do I levy his Cal Pers Retirement for delinquency of child support?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Robert replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing JustAnswer!

court orders are enforceable across state lines. You will need to register the California court order in Nevada if the children are living in Nevada. You will then need to file a motion to enforce the court order and request the court to garnish his retirement and any other funds that maybe subject to such garnishment. This is relatively complex legal maneuvering so I suggest you retain a local family law attorney to assist you in this process.

If you choose to retain an attorney you may be interested in using the following link (enter "Nevada" in the search bar at the top of the page and, after searching, select "family Law" from the practice areas category on the left of the screen):

www.martindale.com

If you choose to attempt to represent yourself the following link may be useful (select "family law"):

http://lawlibrary.nevadajudiciary.us/selfHelp/nvProSe.php

I hope this has helped and I wish you all the best. Please let me know if you need me to further clarify my answer and I will do my best to so clarify.

Thank you,

Robert