AlexiaEsq.
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney
Experience:  19+ Years of Legal Practice in Family law matters.
10805288

if you pay 12,000 in child support to the cp enough for 40

Customer Question

if you pay 12,000 in child support to the cp enough for 40 months the 1st yesr after the divorce but in 2009 he brings you up on contempt and you go to jail. now he is bringing me up on contempt again but I have found bankstatements and checks to prove what I have paid. Does it make any difference that the amout paid is over 10000. Would that make it criminal or after 4 years can you think of criminal charges that might be under the statur of limitations. I did have my cr repoed while in jail even thouh my sister tried to pay i was the only one allowed to pay only what was owed.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AlexiaEsq. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your inquiry! I have been practicing family law for 17+ years and have specific experience with issues like yours. That being said...

I'm so sorry for all of this strife and stress. Can you please clarify what your legal question is here?

------
Please note that I have not yet answered your question. That is because this is one of those times where additional information is necessary or prudent. I have requested this additional information from you in order that a most thorough and accurate answer may be provided and I look forward to your response. In the meantime, I will be researching any related issues as necessary for that thorough answer, to ensure that there are no recent legal changes that could effect my answer, as well as drafting portions of the answer for you. Thus, if you don't see my response right away, after you provide your reply, please don't be concerned. Once I respond, you should be getting an email notification (or other) so you can come back and receive that answer. Thank you, and I look forward to assisting you.

Repeat reminder: Due to rules of our states, nothing herein is intended as legal advice, only intended as general information in order that you may have a starting point for helping yourself and and better pursuing the details you need.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Being that he pocketed the first 14,000 and used the court to try to get more as well as aressting ang making me lose me car I would like to know what criminal charges i have access to in the state of ga after 4 years and 6months. I was just now able to get proof through bank statements and checks. I have a mental disorder called dissociative amnesia and bipolar where they had me on anti psychotics and I could barly thinkWhen I got on medicaid and finally found a good psychiatrist he also noticed I was adhd and tried something unususal for bipolars he put me od adderal xr and sinc eI feel like slowly but surly thingare coming back to me and I can think straight and focus.I am disabled as of oct 20 and the cp signed on with dcss so he would be able to garnish my back child support buut that didn't happen but he tried andway They consider my disability starting in 2006.

Hi again, and good morning:

Being that he pocketed the first 14,000 OK, thus far that wouldn't indicate a crime, based on these noted facts and/or any evidence of a crime mentioned.

and used the court to try to get more That is what the court is for - to try to secure alleged rights of a child to child support from the other parent. The obligator's right is to fight those motions for more child support, or to seek a reduction or termination of chid support should her income be reduced through no fault of her own.....

as well as aressting Typically, a civilian does not have the power to arrest, and can only rely on the police to review the situation and decide on whether to arrest an individual. If he DID stop and hold you ("arrest" you) himself, you may very well have grounds for False Imprisonment, Assault/Battery, etc. Those may also be civil claims one can make in a drafted complaint to civil court for damages - which can be helpful if the criminal system either will not investigate your allegations from a criminal point of view, or will not prosecutor after investigating, due to a perceived lack of evidence beyond a she said/he said type of conflicting statements.

ang making me lose me car That would go towards your damages, should you be able to prove civilly that he violated your rights civilly, and that resulted in your losing your car......But first you must prove he committed a tort or a breach of some kind.

I would like to know what criminal charges i have access to in the state of ga after 4 years and 6months. Look into false imprisonment if he held you against your will - but make sure you have proof! Perhaps he admitted it in an email you have? Or there was a witness?

I was just now able to get proof through bank statements and checks. Proof of what? That typically won't prove that he wrongfully held you against your will - but a bank could have surveillance video if it occurred outside of the bank...

I have a mental disorder called dissociative amnesia and bipolar where they had me on anti psychotics and I could barly think - I am so sorry!

When I got on medicaid and finally found a good psychiatrist he also noticed I was adhd and tried something unususal for bipolars he put me od adderal xr and sinc eI feel like slowly but surly thingare coming back to me I'm very glad for you! That doctors may be worth his weight in gold. As you know, so many times it is difficult to find a medication that works beyond very temporarily, and doesn't come with a host of self-defeating side effects (such as making you so groggy and loopy you can't think straight, much less talk right)....

and I can think straight and focus.I am disabled as of oct 20 and the cp signed on with dcss so he would be able to garnish my back child support buut that didn't happen but he tried andway If you are on SSI (not SSD), typically they DON'T garnish and they can't levy. Just be sure to keep them on the SS debit card you can order, rather than in a bank account.

They consider my disability starting in 2006.
But didn't pay you back that far? Or had you filed your disability claim as far back as that, in which case you MAY get paid that far back.

In any event, the only potential crime I am seeing is that "arrest" you mention, if in fact he put his hands on you. Remotely, if you are saying (and I suspect you are) that he lied to police to get you arrested, and you can prove that, you MAY be able to sue him for defamation - you certainly have the damages (being in jail based on that defamation, etc). However, defamation statute of limitation tends to be short and in GA it is only 1 year: Ga. Code Ann. § 9-3-33. You'd need to have him defaming you in the most recent 12 months prior to the date you file your complaint in civil court.

I know you want your justice for how he treated you and all the trouble you have been through. I wish you your justice. Sometimes we don't have sufficent statute of limitations or evidence to satisfy the law's requirements to get criminal charges pressed (or civil complaint) and we can't get our justice. If that is the case for you, you believe, after reading my answer, please know that often moving on, becoming healthy, and have a GREAT life start that you can enjoy and be successful in, can be the best 'revenge'. Not only that, but it can be enjoyable, as opposed to being wrapped up in a civil or criminal action that sucks the energy out of you, while it prosecutes that guy who is the defendant. Give it some thought, and please don't be too disappointed if you can't move forward with a case against him at this late juncture - you CAN move forward with a stellar life of your own, gaining back much of which you lost, particularl now that your mental health is on the upswing.

Good luck. You can do this!

-------

I hope this clarifies and I wish you the best. If anything in my answer is unclear, please hit REPLY and let me know which part needs some follow up and I will work on answering that for you. If I do not respond right away, please know that I am diligently working here on your question and I will be back as soon as possible, after engaging in any necessary and prudent confirming research to ensure that no recent legal changes have occurred that would effect your answer. Please also know that your expressed satisfaction with my answer is my top priority, and my time here today with you supports my volunteer work for the Disabled in the U.S.
You can ask for me directly in the future by starting your post with "To Alexia Esq."