AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney

Hello What is the agency responsible for reports of child abuse or neglect cases in Texas

What is the agency responsible for reports of child abuse or neglect cases in Texas?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the opportunity to answer your question. I am sending this answer to you only a few minutes after you submitted your question.
The Texas Department of Family and Protective Services addresses issues of child abuse, neglect, and exploitation. If you are looking for a place to file a complaint, you can contact the Texas DFPS here:
DFPS accepts complaints via telephone 24 hours a day. You should receive a response within 24 hours. Complaints can be filed via telephone at 1-800-252-5400 or online at
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

How would I get information about a case that might have been reported? How would I go about finding out if one was, who filed the report, what steps have been taken in terms of investigating.

That would not be possible. To protect children, reporters, and to encourage people to report child abuse, all such reports are confidential. They cannot be obtained by the public or the accused. This can be unfair, at times. However, the public policy behind it is to prevent people from being deterred and to ensure that any potential abuse is investigated. With child abuse, the state would rather investigate a number of wrongful claims and determine that they are false than to never hear about even one legitimate incident that should have been dealt with.
Therefore, it is not possible to obtain confidential abuse reports. I am sorry, as I know this may not be what you wanted to hear. However, my job here is to explain the law as it is, and sometimes giving bad news is part of doing my job well.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is there not an agency to whom I can write to determine if such a claim was filed?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your message.
Texas Family Code § 261.201 specifies that reports of abuse or suspected abuse are confidential and not subject to public release. I'm sorry, but those reports are not available to the public.
I understand that this isn't fair at times and you may wish to report the matter to your legislators and inform them of your sentiments, as they are the only ones who can change the law. However, the law is this way as the legislature feels that, by preventing risk of consequence to reporters, more abuse cases will be reported and dealt with. I know that's little consolation when the law isn't what you'd hoped, but I feel you deserve to understand why it is the way it is, and that's why I explained it. Please understand that my job here is to explain the law as it is and, even when it may not be pleasant, providing accurate information is my role here.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is there not a central agency to whom I can write to discover this information?
No. As mentioned in all previous answers, such reports are confidential and they are not subject to public review. At best, XXXXX XXXXX be possible to obtain a court order to release the information in limited circumstances. From the Texas Attorney General: "And the law does offer protection; the identity of the person making a report of child abuse or neglect to CPS is confidential and may be disclosed only upon order of the court or to a law enforcement officer conducting a criminal investigation of the report. In addition, the person reporting is immune from civil or criminal liability as long as the report is made in "good faith." "Good faith" means the person making the report took reasonable steps to learn facts that were readily available and at hand. The person reporting is also protected from liability if s/he testifies or participates in judicial proceedings that result from the report."