Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney

what rights do I (grandmother) have when I have been given

what rights do I (grandmother) have when I have been given joint custody of minor child with her mother
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

Can you please provide me with a specific question?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have raised this minor child 7yrs. been the sole financial source, everything, mother had full custody, but just came and went into the household, I filed suit in the courts for joint custody, or DeFacto Custodian, we had mediation, and the mother agreed to give me joint custody, with her being primary. Do I have the right to know when the mother takes the child out of the county? Also if she is sick, hospitalized, etc. will I be notified.=?
Thank you for your follow up and this clarification.

Do you have a custody / timesharing / parenting agreement filed and approved by the court?

Is it you or your daughter that has the residential custody of this child?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The court made us go to mediation first, and where the agreement was made for joint custody, and visitation, the judge will sign off on it. Residential custody of child is with my daughter.
Thank you for your follow up.

Did the agreement specify the terms such as either one of you traveling out of state/country?

Medical decisions? School related decisions? Etc...?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, joint custody means that you both have equal custody and the right to be involved in all important events and decisions concerning this minor child.

However, you will need to go back to the family court and to have the court address and order any specifics conditions, such as notice or consent to take the minor child out of state or country, medical notice, access to school records, etc...