AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney

One more thing I forgot. I, say, youre low/0 income can court

One more thing I forgot. I, say, you're low/0 income can court appoint you a public attorney?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your new question and thank you very much for requesting me.

There's a common belief that court-appointed counsel is available for every type of legal matter. Unfortunately, that is a myth. Court-appointed counsel exists primarily for the purposes of criminal matters. This is because of the severity of the situation, as his freedom or life may be at stake. However, for other matters, an individual is not generally entitled to court appointed counsel. This is true with a divorce as well. Now, there are non-criminal, civil matters where the court appoints counsel. A court can appoint an attorney for a minor child in a divorce to represent that child's interests, or for an adult during guardianship proceedings to represent his interests. This is done because those individuals are generally regarded as being unable to look out for their own interests. However, court appointed attorneys are not available for a divorcing spouse.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX'm talking about custody only right now... I read on the court web site, that if you cannot afford the attorney, they will provide one if you can proof that you have 0 or low income

Thank you for clarifying. A recent bill, AB 590 recently expanded court-appointed counsel, has established that individuals may request court-appointed counsel for custody cases and other “civil matters involving critical issues affecting basic human needs." Therefore, a parent may be eligible for court-appointed counsel for a child custody matter. You can read the bill here:
An individual may be eligible if his or her household income falls at or below 200% of the federal poverty level. The link that follows lists some related pilot projects that an individual can contact directly for assistance: