How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttorneyTom Your Own Question
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9176
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
AttorneyTom is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sixteen year old son, wants to change his last name to my

Customer Question

My sixteen year old son, wants to change his last name to my maiden name. His biological father lives in Oklahoma and we reside in Arkansas. I have full custody of my son with limited and supervised visitation with his biological father, which has not been utelized for nearly a year of his fathers choosing. He has nothing but anger and resentment for his biolgical father and wishes to have nothing more to do with him. He would like to complete his senior year next year with my maiden name. Do we have to notify his biological father of his intent, since he is still paying child support, he only pays the basic monthly $200 and has always refused to pay any other money owed for medical/dental etc..
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the opportunity to answer your question. I am sending this answer to you only a few minutes after you submitted your question.
Yes. With a petition to change a minor's name, a parent must be served and given an opportunity to respond. It's easiest when both parents can agree. A mature child's preferences and the reason for the name change will often be considered, though the court will focus on the child's best interests. Child support is a completely separate issue. That said, if a parent has failed to pay support or his share of medical expenses according to a court's order, that debt can accrue as arrears and the court can sanction the parent to compel compliance and payment of the appropriate sum.

Related Family Law Questions