AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney

My wife and I are divorcing. We have been seperated for four

My wife and I are divorcing. We have been seperated for four months. I am not living at home. My wife opened my mail found a credit card that was in my name and charged $2700 from March 15, 2012 until today. Can I make her pay this balalnce as part of the settlement.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the opportunity to answer your question. I am sending this answer to you only a few minutes after you submitted your question.

Yes. If a spouse runs up a credit card bill for her own purposes or if she otherwise wastes marital assets, the court can order her to pay that bill. Further, if a spouse uses another spouse's credit card without authorization, that could potentially provide a basis for criminal charges. However, to answer your question, during divorce, the court can order a spouse to pay a credit card bill if the spouse has it for her own interests and to the other spouse's detriment.