Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney

I moved in to help my parents five years ago .My father passed

I moved in to help my parents five years ago .My father passed away within 6 months , Istayed with my mother until I went to county jail for 6 months .My sister abtained power of attourney .I went back to take care of my mother .She was placed in a nursing home due to dementia and physical problems.Does the house haveto be sold to pay for the nursing home ? Do I have any right to stay in the house?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 4 years ago.
Dear JACUSTOMER - Assuming your mother has no other funds with which to pay the nursing home the house will have to be sold and the money used for her care until it is used up. Then she will be eligible for Medicaid. Unless you have some type of lease agreement or you are on the deed to the house you would have no right to occupy the dwelling. Of course if your sister as POA permits you to be there until it is sold then that would be fine but I know of no legal right you would have to your parents home.