How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL , Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11799
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have two grandchildren who reside in New York since October

Customer Question

I have two grandchildren who reside in New York since October 2010. Since that time we have been given the opportunity to see our grandchildren on EVERY holiday that closes his school. We drive to NY to get them and take them back on the dates the mother tells us. I received an email today stating that the children will no longer be allowed to visit us. Child support through the state of NY was determined yesterday and the mother was not happy with it. Please tell me if we have any rights and what they are. We have been a part of the children lives from the day they were born and the will be devastated if we are no longer allowed to be in their lives; not to mention the pain this is causing both me and my husband. Please, please reply as to what we can do. My husband, son and I reside in Ohio.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

So I can better provide you with an accurate answer, I need some more information first. Am I correct in understanding that the parents are divorced, separated, or were never married?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
They were never married.
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I appreciate your patience while I researched and typed out your answer.

I appreciate your quick reply. First, you should know that grandparent visitation is not a constitutional right, and in cases where parents are married and together, parents generally have the right to decide whether or not grandparents can visit with their grandchildren, which is why I asked the circumstances of the parental relationship.


In New York, grandparents have a right to seek assistance of the court to obtain visitation with their grandchildren. That right is included in both the Domestic Relations Law and the Family Court Act. Section 72(1) of the Domestic Relations Law states that

“[w]here either or both of the parents of a minor child, residing within this state, is, or are deceased, or where circumstances show that conditions exist which equity would see fit to intervene, a grandparent may apply to [supreme or family court] and . . . the court, by order after due notice to the parent or any other person or party having the care, custody, and control of such child, to be given in such manner as the court shall prescribe, may make such directions as the best interest of the child may require, for visitation rights for such grandparent or grandparents in respect to such child.”


Section 72(1) “does not create an absolute or automatic right of visitation. Instead, the statute provides a procedural mechanism for grandparents to acquire standing to seek visitation with a minor grandchild”. Wilson v. McGlinchey, 2 N.Y.3d 375, 380 (2004). When grandparents seek visitation under §72(1), the court must undertake a two-part inquiry. “First, [the court] must find standing based on death or equitable circumstances”; and “f [the court] concludes that the grandparents have established the right to be heard, then it must determine if visitation is in the best interest of the grandchild”. Emanuel S. v. Joseph E., 78 N.Y.2d 178, 181 (1991).


What all that legal information breaks down to is this: Generally, a grandparent can automatically seek visitation when a parent passes away. Alternatively, grandparents can seek visitation when equitable circumstances exist warranting court intervention. In making this determination, the Court must consider that a parent has objected to the grandparent/child contact and assess the nature and basis for the objection. Further, the grandparent must establish an existing relationship with the grandchild or, minimally, a sufficient effort to establish one, and thus deserving of the court’s protection.


Given just the facts you stated, I think you can establish this first part. You had an exisiting relationship, and now find yourselves cut off from having contact.


Once the Court finds that a grandparent has standing to pursue visitation with his/her grandchild/ren, the next inquiry made by the Court is whether an order of visitation is in the best interests of the child. There is no set standard for what is in a child’s best interest. Instead, each individual case involves an objective independent evaluation, where the court adequately assesses all of the circumstances for and against grandparent contact, including the effects such visitation will have on the child/ren. This can include the strength of relationship between you and the grandchildren, how long the relationship existed, whether you are properly able to take care of the grandchildren when having visitation, the wishes of the grandchild/ren, etc. The court can consider parental objections as well; however, the determinative factor overall will be what effect mandated visitation would have on the child’s well being.

If you require additional information, press "REPLY" and I will be happy to assist you further.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So my next step would be to file in Family Court for visitation?
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 4 years ago.
That's correct, you would have to petition the family court in New York, where the children live, for visitation rights.

The New York Bar Association has a lawyer referral service that may be able to put you in touch with a family law attorney who can help you. The number is XXXXX
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11799
Experience: Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
RobertJDFL and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 4 years ago.
Of course, my pleasure. All the best to you. I hope things work out.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
< Previous | Next >
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • LawTalk's Avatar


    Attorney and Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16 yrs. of experience including family law.
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:


Related Family Law Questions