Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.

My daughters husband left her to live with another woman.

My daughter's husband left her to live with another woman. They live in Broward County, Fl. Her parents and sibling live 40 miles away in Palm Beach County. Can she move to Palm Beach County where family can help her with childcare, etc.? Her husband lost his job - has no money for a divorce.

She is living in the condo where he left her, but it is on the verge of going into foreclosure and she wants to move anyway.

Since nothing has been started on the divorce, can she just get an apartment in Palm Beach and file for divorce in Palm Beach County rather than Broward?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 4 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

There is no law that prevents your daughter from moving in this situation. If there were a court order in place that dictated how far away she could move with the children, that would be different, but she's free to move within the state unless or until a judge says otherwise.

Under Florida law, the appropriate place to file a divorce action is the county in which the spouses last lived as husband and wife. So, if she moves to live near you and files for divorce there, the husband would actually be able to transfer the case to the county they were last in together.