JackJD
JackJD, Lawyer
Experience:  I've been in practice for 30+ years, concentrating in family and employment law. I enjoy helping people.
64048581

I am responding to a petition and in their petition their roman

I am responding to a petition and in their petition their roman numerals are out of sync. They go i, ii, iii, iv,v,vi, v, vi, vii, viii, I understand that I'm supposed to at the bottom or either the end state paragraph vii responds to the seventh paragraph of respondent's petition was incorrectly numbered v. I would like to confirm the verbage and confirm I correct the seequence and not use their wrong.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JackJD replied 2 years ago.

JackJD :

Welcome to the real world where lawyers mess up. The important thing is that someone reading your responses can see which paragraph responds to which paragraph. And to respond to each and every paragraph.

Customer:

Yes thank you I am not sure if use their inaccurate numbers or put in right sequence and then not where...at end of each of page or at end of entire document.

JackJD :

I would do it this way:

Customer:

i'm sorry I meant to say to note at the end of page inaccuracy

JackJD :

I would do it this way, put their number on each paragraph, then after the inaccurate number, I would put (so in the original, actually number x)

Customer:

ok thanks ...so it will look like

Customer:

iv. (actual number vi.)

Customer:

v. (actual number vii.)

JackJD :

That's right. Also, its important that each and every paragraph in the petition has an answer, even if you've said it before! The rule is that if its not answered, its considered admitted.

Customer:

ok I understand when it is part agree and part denie do you still need to answer each little part?

Customer:

soory deny

Customer:

oops sorry deny

JackJD :

Yes, you can say "denied that the moon is made of green cheese; the rest of paragraph x is admitted."

Customer:

what is the premise based on to use lacks sufficient information or belief to either admit or deny?

JackJD :

You can say that anytime you want ... if you lack information, you deny.

Customer:

is the lacks sufficient info equal to plainly stating to deny?

JackJD :

To be on the safe side, include the words ".. and therefore paragraph x is denied."

Customer:

I gather that I'm not supposed to give too much info in my statements so they have more to use against?

JackJD :

Right, this is a very formal little dance. The only effect of a denial, is that you require the other party to eventually produce proof on that point.

Customer:

thank you

JackJD :

Glad I could be of help.

JackJD, Lawyer
Experience: I've been in practice for 30+ years, concentrating in family and employment law. I enjoy helping people.