socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

I currently have several revocable trusts and would like to

Customer Question

I currently have several revocable trusts and would like to consider making them irrevocable.
I would like to be the trustee of such trusts even though I would be the grantor and beneficiary. I understand that this can be done but there may be implications
By doing this. Reason for doing this is to protect assets. No intent to avoid taxes.

What are the legal and tax implications should I go this route?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 2 years ago.
There are probably a thousand different ways to write a trust instrument to deal with certain tax and asset protection issues, but the principal result of declaring a trust irrevocable is to permanently deprive the grantor of all rights and authority in the trust property.

For practically the entire history of the Internal Revenue Code, the amount of assets that could be transfered by an inter-vivos (living) trust without incurring some immediate tax liability was severely limited. However, for the 2012 tax year, it is possible to transfer up to $5,000,000 via a trust without any gift tax liability. So, at the moment declaring a trust irrevocable may not have the same sort of adverse consequence that would typically dissuade a grantor from placing property into an irrevocable trust.

That said, there is another issue which may create a problem for a grantor seeking to protect assets from creditor attack. The Florida Uniform Fraudulent Transfer Act makes it possible for a creditor to force a trust to disgorge assets transferred within four years of the date that a creditor claim arises, if the transfer was originally made for less than "reasonably equivalent value" -- which basically means something in the neighborhood of fair market value.

So, if you are trying to avoid a specific creditor who already has a claim against you, then the irrevocable trust declaration may not produce the desired result.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate the public about the law. Please help me in this effort by clicking Accept (or, click on one of the happy smiley faces/stars/etc., if applicable) for my Answer to your Question. If you have a subscription account, clicking Accept does not create any additional charge. It merely gets me credit for my Answer.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id at the beginning of your question ("To Socrateaser"), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!

Please Click the following link for IMPORTANT LEGAL INFORMATION.

socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience: Retired (mostly)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Have further questions/comments, but need time to get my writing organized to present as clearly as you replied to me.
I am at your service....

NOTICE: My goal here is to entertain while educating the public about the law. Your positive feedback to the website is appreciated. If you need to contact me again, please put my user id at the beginning of your question ("To Socrateaser"), and the system will send me an alert. Please Click the following link for IMPORTANT LEGAL INFORMATION. Thanks and best wishes!