Brandon M.
Brandon M., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
11182422

My ex-husband has his mail forwarded, but a lot of my mail is going to his address also.

My ex-husband has his mail forwarded, but a lot of my mail is going to his address also. And mail that is not suppose to be forwarded is going back to sender and readdressed to his address. What is going on??? My kids stuff is also being forwarded, but I have custody. They are 16 & 18

Brandon M. :

Hello there.

Brandon M. :

Thank you for your question. How do you know that this is happening?

Customer:

I have only received junk mail since he started the USPS forwarding order 6 months ago when he moved out after I served him. He said he had to since he was paying the bills. We did a collaborative divorce, so I didn't squack.

Customer:

The divorce was just finalized last Wednesday.

Customer:

When he came by today for my daughters birthday, my brokers mail was readdressed to him

Customer:

my broker flipped out because they don't even have his address any where in the system

Brandon M. :

It sounds like this was just recently discovered, then?

Customer:

None of my kids stuff has come either

Customer:

This incident just happenned today, but, as I stated, I told my attorney I was not getting ANY mail.... except my new checking account

Customer:

Is this my mail carrier's issue, Is he the one sending EVERYTHING to my ex's address?

Customer:

I don't understand.. I don't know if you're familiar with collaborative divorces, but you have to bite your tongue a lot in order to not have to start all over... if we were in court I could have had him thrown in jail three times for contempt of orders that were put in place, but had to BITE MY TONGUE,....

Brandon M. :

Thank you. I will start by saying that because the nuances of every case are different, you should not rely on this information as advice or apply it to a specific situation without a more thorough consultation with counsel. That said, if one's mail is being misdirected due to possible maliciousness, there are generally two courses of action to be taken: (1) filing a change of address with the post office to properly re-direct the mail, and (2) file a complaint with the Post Master General's Office. The Post Master General has jurisdiction to investigate and prosecute most crimes involving the U.S. Mail.

Brandon M. :

I am familiar with collaborative divorces, yes.

Customer:

I haven't moved. I got the house.. He's the one who had "his" mail forwarded, but, almost ALL mail has been forwarded to him.

Brandon M. :

Yes, but if the mail has been deliberately misdirected, filing for a change of address would re-direct it to the proper place of receipt.

Brandon M. :

The same is true if it has been accidentally misdirected, actually.

Brandon M. :

Does that make sense?

Customer:

I need to put in a change of address from his address to mine? That sounds almost funny, but makes sense.

Brandon M. :

I realize that it seems logically backwards, but it would typically be the fastest resolution to fixing the mechanical problem.

Customer:

Makes complete sense to me... Do you also recommend filing with the Post Master GO as well?

Brandon M. :

How to proceed is up to you. Personally, I would report it because it is so offensive to me, but other people might decide otherwise.

Customer:

Thank you Brandon, I am not a litigious person, but this just irks me..

Brandon M. :

Certainly. Did you have any other questions this evening?

Customer:

No more questions, Good night sir!