How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask TJ, Esq. Your Own Question

TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 10621
Experience:  JD, MBA
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
TJ, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ive been married for 20 years and I have 4 children with my

Customer Question

I've been married for 20 years and I have 4 children with my husband. ( 22, 20, 18 & 15 ) We've been separated for 2 1/2 years. My husband an attorney, but does not practice law. I stayed home for over 20 years and I have a high school education. I also have some medical issues with my hands for the past 10 years. My husband has full control over our finance. ( marriage & separation ) I had an attorney up until 2 weeks ago. I would like to retain another family law attorney, but my husband will not give me a retainer fee. I receive in the mail this weekend a legal letter. ( At-Issue Memorandum For Trial ) My husbands attorney gave the court some dates that he is available. We have a joint forensic accountant that has given us some information, but my husband has not been under oath. We have one off-shore account that I'm aware of, but I don't have access to. ( my husband is the only one on the account ) I don't know what to do. I need an attorney.I don't know if this matters, but I'm divorcing him .Thank you
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

Can you clarify your legal question for me? I realize that you want to retain an attorney (and I agree that you should!), but I'm unclear how I can help you. What is it you'd like to know?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How do I find a good Family law attorney that will take my case, even if they have to wait to get paid. My husband has a very good attorney. ( he has kept him from going under oath ) I thought about calling the law schools around my area USC or UCLA and asking for help. The attorneys that would like to take my case want 10K for a retainer. I believe it's because there's going to be alot of research involved. Thank you
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Hi again. Thank you for clarifying.

Unfortunately, finding an attorney willing to take your case without a retainer will require making a lot of telephone calls and personal visits. The botXXXXX XXXXXne is that you'll need to speak to a lot of attorneys until you find one who is willing to take a risk. The risk, of course, is that the attorney will never get paid. The reason is that the attorney will need to file a petition requesting that your husband be required to pay your attorney's fees. If that petition fails, then you may not be able to pay the attorney. Or, even if the judge orders your husband to pay, he may refuse, and that could mean the attorney either never gets paid, or the attorney needs to sue, garnish wages, and ultimately spend a lot of time and effort above representing you in the divorce just to get paid. I'm sure you already knew that, of course, but I wanted to throw it out there in case you weren't sure of the risks for the attorney.

In any event, I do have some suggestions for finding an attorney. I would first utilize your county's attorney referral service. You can get to it at THIS WEBSITE (scroll to the bottom to choose your county). Through the program, you can request a consultation (by phone or in person) where you'll explain your situation and ask if the attorney is willing to represent you knowing that he'll have to seek payment from your husband. I'm sorry to say that you may need to do this several times until you find a attorney willing to help. Contacting law schools will not likely be of any help since (1) law students cannot generally represent people, and (2) if they can offer limited help through a legal clinic at their school, they'll likely be in way over their heads. Helping a low income tenant avoid eviction against a pro per landlord is not in the same league as helping on a complicated divorce where there could be dozens of legal issues to resolve, and where they'll be going up against another seasoned attorney. I'd stick to the attorney referral service.

I hope that helps. Please remember to click "accept."
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 10621
Experience: JD, MBA
TJ, Esq. and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did not know or maybe just not thinking clearly about the attorney/fee. It's so upsetting.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Hi again.

Something else you could do is file a petition for attorneys fees yourself. In other words, you file a petition with the court explaining that you need an attorney, that you do not have the funds for an attorney, that your husband does have the funds for an attorney, and that your husband should be ordered to pay for your attorney. You can then ask for a hearing and see what the judge says. You can file the petition by visiting the local court clerk and asking if there are any blank forms that can be filled out. If the judge agrees with you, and orders your husband to pay, then finding an attorney will be much easier because you can take the order with you to a consultation and show that the judge has already ruled that your husband must pay. I think an attorney would be much more willing to take the case in that situation.

I truly wish you luck!

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
< Previous | Next >
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely

    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
  • LawTalk's Avatar


    Attorney and Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
  • Brandon M.'s Avatar

    Brandon M.

    Family Law Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers: