LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.

Can someone subpoena your email records for a child support

Can someone subpoena your email records for a child support case?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 years ago.
Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear of the situation.

I guess I need to ask, subpoena the records from whom?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was just wondering if my ex could subpoena my email records for a child support case. He is trying to decrease his support and I want to modify to increase the support.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 years ago.
Subpoena them from WHERE? Your email server, you personally off of your computer, or?

His ability to get emails depends on who has them. Who is it you are concrened about?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
my gmail. Just wondering if he would be able to subpoena it if he wanted to. I have nothing but endless emails in there, but just wondering if he were able to try to get like my personal emails that I send to my mom and boyfriend..
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 years ago.
Thank you---that is the information I needed to know.

The court would have to balance your right to privacy with the chance that anything relevant to child support might be contained in any emails that you sent.

Were we talking about your employment wage records, or your income tax return, I would say yes, those would almost certainly be discoverable. As to the past 6 months or year of all emails from your gmail account---I just don;t envision ANY court or judge granting a subpoena for that as against Google---never.

I don't think that you are at any risk there.

I wish you the best in 2012.

Because I help people here, like you, for a living---this is not a hobby for me, and I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX abiding by the honor system as regards XXXXX XXXXX I wish you and your family the best in your respective futures.

Would you be so kind as to Accept my Answer/click the Happy Smiley Face so that I may be compensated for assisting you? Bonuses for greatly informative and helpful answers are very much appreciated. Thanks Again,