Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney

i live in my boyfriends house and pay all the utility bills

i live in my boyfriends house and pay all the utility bills including his car insurance on 2 cars. does
he have the right to put me out. if i don't do as he says he threatens me.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 4 years ago.
Dear JACUSTOMER - Unless you have a lease or are on the title of the house he would have a right to evict you but he would have to file through the courts for a legal eviction. He cannot simply kick you out of the house. You have no duty to pay for anything and he has no duty to allow you to live there. NY does not recognize common law marriage so neither of you have any legal rights under the domestic relations laws and you are simply two people who happen to live in the same house. So if your boyfriend is trying to force you to do what you don't want to do you can leave at any time with no obligation and, in reverse, he can ask you to move out at any time.