JerrySJD
JerrySJD, Attorney
Experience:  Divorce, child custody, support, mediation, alimony
62699694

My 14yr old was expelled, but part of the time was "on hold"

Customer Question

My 14yr old was expelled, but part of the time was "on hold" with the understanding that any suspendible offense the rest of the expulsion would be in effect without another hearing. The school has just suspended him again, with automatic expulstion for the rest of the year. School librarian tells school that my son used profanity toward her when she saw him outside of a bank at 5:00pm. School handbook states school jurisdiction "off grounds" is only if there is a school sponsored event, which this is not. This is in Ohio. Should I bother with an appeal or not?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JerrySJD replied 4 years ago.

JerrySJD :

Yes, you should. If he is out of school for the rest of the year, things will only get worse for him. Plus, he will likely not pass his courses. He needs to be ready to apologize and there has to be a humble respect for the school. Still, an appeal is in order, as you might get it. It is wrong what he did, and he should recognize that. He needs to respect his teachers and administrators even if he does not like them. Nonetheless, you should appeal because an expulsion is not in his best interests.

JerrySJD :

He needs to walk two paths. One is appeal and the other is to be sorry for what happened and to be sure that it will never happen again. We want him to graduate, so he has to buckle up and be good.

JerrySJD :

Try meeting with the principal first, being sorry and showing him/her that expulsion will be devastating for this boy. See if principal can chart a middle ground that will allow him to finish out the year. Sitting around the house will not be good for him.

JerrySJD :

Hope this helps.

JerrySJD :

Thank you for using JustAnswer! Please click "Accept". If you need more, please let me know.

JACUSTOMER-hb1kg5qf- :

The principal already says expulsion agreement from earlier will go into effect. The agreement was any suspendable offense and the "held" expulsion period will go into effect. My question is does the school have the ability & or jurisdiction to suspend a student for an incident that took place off school grounds, out of school hours & not during, prior, after or anywhere near any school sponsored event

JerrySJD :

No. The principal is relating back to the prior event.