Lady Themis
Lady Themis, Lawyer
Experience:  Divorce, child custody, child support, etc.

My X is not letting me see my children as much as I should

My X is not letting me see my children as much as I should be seeing them. I was supposed to see them for Memorial weekend, half the summer, Thanksgiving and all of Spring Break and did not. I want to with hold child support until she follows the rules. She also moved with the kids and did not tell me for 5 months that she moved. What can I do?

Do you have a visitation order?

Did she move out of state?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do. It states that I should have seen them on all the times that I mentioned. She did not move out of State.

When a parent violates a custody/visitation order, the other parent may file contempt proceedings for the court to address the issue. In some cases, attorneys fees can be awarded, make-up visitation can be scheduled, and/or the violations may be cause to modify the custody order.

Further, the law restricts the right of the custodial parent to move away from the noncustodial parent without his or her agreement or without the court's consent, and in some cases, the child custody order has similar restrictions. Violations of either are both also grounds for contempt.

Regarding the child support, in most cases, violation of the visitation agreement does not allow the noncustodial parent to withhold support. The issues are largely seen as separate issues.

I hope this answers your questions. Please let me know if you have any follow-up questions.