Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My wife and I are getting a divorce. We have been seperated

My wife and I are getting a divorce. We have been seperated for 7 years, living on the same property in seperate houses. We have shared electric, water and taxes. I have been paying the taxes and her the electric and water. She let the electric bill get out of hand over the winter so she shut off my electric and locked the box. I am thinking about moving out. If I do so with this effect my ability to retain my half share of the property or could the court give it all to her?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I encourage you to ask me for clarification, if you are not clear with my Answer.

Question: My wife and I are getting a divorce. We have been seperated for 7 years, living on the same property in seperate houses. We have shared electric, water and taxes. I have been paying the taxes and her the electric and water. She let the electric bill get out of hand over the winter so she shut off my electric and locked the box. I am thinking about moving out. If I do so with this effect my ability to retain my half share of the property

Response 1: No, it would not. You would not lose your interest in the property when she is forcing you to vacate the property.

or could the court give it all to her?

Response 2: I do not see how the Court can give her the whole property simply because you moved out to avoid conflict with her.