Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
3396227

I pay child support for my 17 year old son. He graduates high

I pay child support for my 17 year old son. He graduates high school end of June and wants to come live with me in NJ afterwards. How do I end the child support?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 4 years ago.
Dear JACUSTOMER - Since he is still 17 you should file a motion for a change of custody and termination of support. Once he turns 18 he can file for emancipation but in any case the court must be notified and order a termination of the support. If you do not get the court to order the support it will continue until he is 21 or whenever the order says it is to terminate. Obviously the court would have no way of knowing your son was moving and until he is 18 he is a minor child and the custody order would apply. If the other parent agrees to all of this you can simply file a motion for an agreed entry with the court. I am assuming the court order is from NY so that is where all of this must be filed.